Sunday, March 06, 2005

Why this year?

Well this is finally the year. I have thought about doing this walk/run for the past 6 years. You know how procrastination works. I just never got around to doing it. I have 2 main motivatons this year. One it will be the kick start to my weight loss plan this year and two, it will be the last time it will ever be held on what is currently the Cooper River Bridge. So I suspect that a lot of people who have never done it before will be doing it just to say they did it on the old bridge before it will be town down. Charleston is in the process of getting a brand new bridge built. (More on that a little later)

This year will be the 28th year it will be run. It is a 10k run and a 7k walk. It will be held on April 2nd. In years pastI have watched the run on tv as it is televised each year. I watched it twice last year and it was a sea of people. I have watched it for the past 5 years. Prior to that I would actually go to the Marketplace in down town charleston and watch the runners come in. The Kenyans were always the winners. It was exciting to see the first winners come in. And clapping for them. Let's not forget the clapping.

Well this year, I too must do the run on the old bridge before it is torn down. I have less than a month to get ready so each day I plan to work out to get ready other wise I will not make it. This will be my first big walk/run. I'll be running with the big DAWGS!

Bridges at Sunset
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: